Tuesday, May 31, 2011

But, YOU NEED THE INTERNET

I went to Berkeley for a workshop recently (yeah, I'm bragging). University of California, Berkeley.

I arrived at the UCB dormitories reception (had reserved a room there), tired, and, awfully in need of sleep. Poor little me. They had a big desk and four undergrads sitting behind it, all smiling and welcoming. A guy was sitting behind another small table (draped with a we-are-conference-organizing-people table cloth). He interrupted me.

Him: "Hey, you're here for the HotPar workshop?"

Me: "Yeah, can I get my room key?"

Him: "Sure, just a second, I'll look you up."

Girl-behind-big-desk: "Hey, how about I just give a room key to him (_madthanu_) first?"

Him: "Nah. I'll verify his name in my list first.... No. You aren't here."

Me: "Come on, give me the list."

And, the list had around 10 names. I was fairly confident there were many more people staying there for the workshop.

Me: "Are you sure this is the correct list?"

Him: "Sure. You need to call the workshop organizer to fix this up."

Me: "Ok. You have a phone? Mine's out of juice." Damn it, Angry Birds.

Him: "No. There's a paid phone there."

I rang the USENIX people, they were very apologetic, told me to call back in 10 mins. Waited, called back again. They told me to talk with the reception to let me in, and a USENIX person was coming over there in 15 mins to fix everything. By now, the guy-behind-small-table had gone on a break, so I talked to the girl behind the big desk.

Me: "Hey, can you call up the conference organizers and talk to them? They seem to have my name on the list."

Girl: "Hold on. I'll check it here."

Guy (back from his break): "So, what did Jess__ tell you?"

Girl: "Ok, your name is on the room reservation list."

The WHAT list? No, again, what? And ... the girl gave me a room key.

Guy: "But we can't do it, his name is not on the local Internet list."

Local internet list? May be some kind of UCB security thing? Oh, yeah, I remembered it now ... there was some web form related to wired Internet access from the dorm rooms, which I hadn't filled in.

Me: "What? The Internet form is mandatory?"

Guy: "No. But, you need the internet."

Me: "I think I'll just head to my room."

By then, I was feeling like he was pulling my leg. You know, innocent guy from India, don't know anything other than small-time-Wisconsin in the US. But, the guy gave me an am-I-looking-at-an-alien stare which vapourized any questions.

Guy: "But, YOU NEED THE INTERNET."

I didn't know what to say. I felt like ROFL-ing, but again, the way the guy looked at me... Seriously?

Me: "Hmmm... how about I place my bags in my room and head back here later?"

Guy: "Well, yes, but, you need the internet."

Me: "Yes, yes, thanks for helping."

I was (surprisingly) very happy at that point. I had finally met one person who gave Internet the credibility it deserved. I almost felt like going back, hugging him, and saying "Come on, kiddo, ofcourse I need the internet, and I have my 3G connection with WiFi hotspot always. Don't worry about me".

Still, it would do well for us to remember that the internet is only the fourth important thing in life. Important only after food and shelter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. Out of Juice ? Ah, the american influences. And antha undergad ponnu epdi irunthannu sollave illaye :D.

Unknown said...

@KatrathumPetrathum Solra alavukku edhuvum illa da. Paavam paathu avanga gang kooda dinner koopta though.

20 mins la post ku comment. Come in GTalk.

Kitty said...

@Thanu

Athu pavam pathellamla She wud hav guessed u wud become another silicon valley entrepreneur and she might count on u for a job ;)

Unknown said...

Pasangala ... indha post kum andha ponnu kum oru sambanthamum illa ... yen ya ivlo vazhiyareenga?

@Shanketh She's from UCB da. She's much brainier, smarter, geekier :)

SriVarma said...

@pradepkumar @kitty or p...y so much drama going on and you guys are concerned about the girl!?!? Unbelievable, I almost forgot about the girl to the end of the post.

@madthanu good post. good responses to the noobs. ;)

Thanh D. Do said...

Really?

Unknown said...

@Thanh Do: Yes, really :)